PROFS recognizes the importance of paid family leave to UW-Madison faculty and supports paid family leave for all state employees. We have had discussions with Governor Tony Evers and his staff on the issue and continue to make it a top legislative priority.
Month: March 2023
March Board of Regents Meeting
The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents will meet at UW-Stout on Thursday and Friday, March 29 and 30. Registration to view livestream coverage of the public sessions of the board is available here. Members of the board will also participate in an awards ceremony on Wednesday afternoon, an informal reception on Wednesday evening, and a polytechnic showcase on late Thursday afternoon.
Regent committees will meet Thursday morning:
- The Audit and Business & Finance Committees will meet jointly to hear an update on the Administrative Transformation Program.
- The Business and Finance Committee will hear a presentation from UW-Stout on the value and cost of polytechnic education, consider approval of 2023-24 tuition rates, review a contract, and hear updates relating to gifts, grants and contracts and trust fund investments.
- The Education Committee will consider approval of several new degree programs, including a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Chicana/o and Latina/o Studies and a Master of Science in Business: Data, Insight and Analytics at UW-Madison. The committee will also hear a presentation on from UW-Stout on addressing employer needs and participate in a discussion on academic program planning.
- The Audit Committee will be updated on the 2023 audit plan and briefed on recently released audits.
- The Capital Planning & Budget Committee will consider granting permission for several UW managed design and construction projects at UW-Madison, including the East Recreation Fields and Chemistry lab renovations. UW-Madison will host a discussion on the West Campus District Plan and UW-Stout will host a presentation on intentional strategic planning.
The full board will meet Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. On Thursday, the Regents will hear updates from UW System President Jay Rothman and Board of Regents President Karen Walsh. The Regents will also approve 2023-24 tuition rates and hear presentations from UW-Stout and the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference before going into closed session to discuss several items, including honorary degrees, student appeals, and the search process and strategies for a UW-Madison position.
On Friday, the board will hear committee updates and consider approval of action from the previous day, hear an update on improving student accessibility, and present the Board of Regents 2023 Teaching Excellence Awards.
March Legislative Update
This legislative update was shared with the University of Wisconsin-Madison Faculty Senate on Monday. The senate meets the first Monday of every month at 3:30 pm during the academic year, October through May, except in January. Guests are welcome to attend the meetings. More information is here.
PROFS 2021-22 Annual Report
PROFS president Michael Bernard-Donals will present the PROFS Annual Report for 2021-22 (below) to the Faculty Senate Monday, March 6. The senate meets in Room 272 Bascom Hall at 3:30 pm. A full agenda of the meeting is here.
Faculty senators and visitors are invited to join PROFS for refreshments in the rotunda area outside Room 272 Bascom Hall beginning at 3 pm.
We are also undertaking a membership drive and faculty members who join PROFS will receive a free PROFS mug. Information about PROFS and membership forms will be available before and after the Senate meeting.