Governor Scott Walker’s office announced yesterday that the 2013-15 biennial budget address will be Wednesday, February 20. The governor will deliver his remarks at 7 pm in the Assembly chambers.
Once introduced, the bill will be referred to the Joint Committee on Finance which will hold public hearings throughout the state. After approval from the finance committee, the bill must be passed by both houses of the legislature before going to Walker for his final approval. The entire budget process spans several months and is expected to conclude in late June:
- February 20 — Governor delivers budget address
- Late February — Budget bill introduced in the Legislature and referred to Joint Finance Committee
- Late February/March — Legislative Fiscal Bureau briefings and public hearings
- March/April/May — Joint Finance Committee executive sessions
- May/June — Assembly and Senate action on the bill
- Late June/early July — Governor signs budget bill into law
PROFS will actively monitor the entire process and keep faculty informed along the way.