University of Wisconsin Board of Regents President John Behling named members of the workgroup tasked with review of UW System chancellor and other top administrative positions (full press release below). The group will examine hiring practices and consider expanding the search process to include non-traditional candidates from outside academia. The committee does not include a member from UW-Madison.
- Regent Vice President Drew Petersen, chair
- Regent Gerald Whitburn, vice-chair
- Regent Tracey Klein
- Chancellor Bob Meyer, UW-Stout
- Provost Aaron Brower, UW-Extension
- Professor Joe Heim, UW-La Crosse
- Vice Chancellor Rose Smyrski, UW-Platteville
- Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs James Henderson, UW System
- Senior Associate Vice President of Human Resources & Workforce Diversity Shenita Brokenburr, UW System
Last month, Regent President John Behling told fellow Regents he would like UW System institutions to recruit non-academic candidates and “streamline” the hiring process for top administrative positions.
In June, PROFS asked the co-chairs of the Joint Committee on Finance to remove a budget provision that would prohibit UW System from creating a rule limiting candidates for chancellor and vice chancellor positions to individuals who are faculty members or hold terminal degrees in their field. No such rule currently exists, but UW-Madison’s Faculty Policies and Procedures does state the chancellor and provost must hold a tenured faculty rank.