On Thursday morning, the regents will discuss strategies for cost containment and educational attainment and receive an update on the Legislative Task Force on UW Restructuring and Operational Flexibilties.
The regents will also receive a report from the Ad Hoc Working Group on System Structure and Governance. The working group was chaired by Regent Vice President Brent Smith and included Chancellors Brian Levin-Stankevich (Eau Claire), Mike Lovell (Milwaukee), and Rick Wells (Oshkosh); Regents Judith Crain and Chuck Pruitt; and Andy Richards, chief of staff to UW System President Kevin Reilly.
The working group had two related goals:
- Determine whether there is a need to restructure UW System and, if so, make recommendations regarding a new governance structure
- Study governance structures from other university systems and begin a statewide conversation on campus-based institutional boards
After examining these issues, the group offered the following recommendations:
- UW System should seek greater independence from state-level restrictions.
- Institution-level advisory boards (Chancellor’s Advisory Councils) should be enhanced to provide greater advice and advocacy for individual campuses.
- A system-wide advisory council comprised of members of institution-level boards is recommended.
- Regional education councils that work to further economic development should be created throughout the state.