First on the agenda is the University of Wisconsin System. The committee must decide if they will adopt Governor Scott Walker’s proposal to slash UW System funding by $300 million over the biennium. Legislative leaders have already said they oppose transforming UW System into a public authority.
Other UW System items on the agenda:
- Resident Undergraduate Tuition Freeze
- Segregated Fund Appropriations
- Tribal Gaming Funding
- Future GPR Funding
- Compensation, GPR Position Authority, and Position Reports
- PR-Funded Building Projects and Self-Amortizing Bonding
- Procurement Authority
- Investment of Certain PR Balances
- PR Balance and Auxiliary Reserve Reporting
- State Laboratory of Hygiene Funding
- Wisconsin Bioenergy Initiative
- Wisconsin Environmental Education Board
- Extension Recycling Education and Solid Waste Research and Experiments
- Minnesota-Wisconsin Student Reciprocity
The committee will also discuss the Departments of Natural Resources, Transportation and Revenue and consider changes to sales and income taxes. Funding for the Milwaukee Bucks arena in Milwaukee rounds out the agenda.
PROFS is carefully monitoring the UW System budget discussion and continues to lobby members of the Joint Finance Committee for the best possible budget for the university and its faculty.